Home / Hard Waste

Hard Waste



East Waste delivers an at call domestic hard waste collection service for each of our member councils. Please check your council page (below) for your hard waste services. Click here to book your domestic at call hard waste collection.

Council Hardwaste information:


What can be collected as hard waste?

  • Air conditioners
  • Bikes and toys
  • Blinds and window
  • Dismantled clothes lines
  • Electronic waste (e.g. TV’s, computers & anything with a battery or cord) Collected for City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters and Adelaide Hills Council residents only
  • Floor coverings (up to 1.5 metre lengths)
  • Furniture
  • Hot water services
  • Lawn mowers
  • Mattresses
  • Rainwater tanks
  • Refrigerators
    and freezers
    (remove doors for safety)
  • Sheets of iron and guttering (up to 1.5 metre lengths)
  • Small items of scrap metal
  • Timber off cuts (up to 1.5 metre lengths)
  • Tree and shrub prunings (cut into 1.5 metre lengths and tied in bundles, max of 30 cm diameter)
  • White goods



Please note: Maximum of 2m3 (2m x 1m x 1m) can be placed out for collection. Excess or unacceptable items will not be collected and must be removed from the kerbside by the resident.  If you are unsure of the amount you are placing out for collection, use this calculator tool to assist you. Simply tick the items you have placed out for collection and it will calculate the volume for you: www.selfstorage.org.au/storage-estimator


  • Electronic waste (e.g. TV’s, computers or anything with a battery or cord –see E-Waste information below for other options) Collected for City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters and Adelaide Hills Council residents only
  • Bricks, rocks, dirt, pavers, concrete and building materials (Click here for options)
  • Items too heavy for two people to lift (e.g. water softeners)
  • Hazardous materials (e.g. asbestos, chemicals, batteries, liquids, motor oils and paints)
  • Fire extinguishers (Click here for options)
  • Gas bottles (Click here for options)
  • Batteries (Click here for options)
  • Ammunition, explosives or flares (contact the Police 131 444)
  • Panels of sheet glass (take to your local waste & recycling depot or licenced transfer station)
  • Business or industrial waste (take to your local waste & recycling depot or licenced transfer station or arrange a business/industrial waste collection service)
  • Car tyres (Click here for options)
  • Car parts (e.g.gear boxes engine blocks and panels can be recycled through a car dismantler or scrap metal business)
  • Wooden pallets (break them up and place into your green organics bin , Click here for other options)
  • Food and Garden Organics (place in your green organics bin)
  • Co-mingled recycling (place in your yellow lidded recycling bin)

E-Waste CANNOT be collected as part of your hard waste collection (with exception of City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters and Adelaide Hills Council residents)

Please note that E-waste which includes televisions, printers, computers and associated equipment CANNOT be collected as part of your hard rubbish collection. Your e-waste recycling service will depend on your council. For specific information on your council’s E-Waste recycling options, please refer to the E-Waste information section.

Please do not dispose of any e-waste in any of your bins. Many e-waste items contain hazardous substances including lead, mercury and phosphorous,which will become a hazard if they are crushed in collection trucks. Placing e-waste items in a bin for collection or transport for disposal at a landfill depot can be an offence and attract expiation fines of $300; fines of up to $30,000 can apply for intentional or reckless breaches.1

Download the Hard Waste information flyer here

Too good to throw away?

Reusing is an important part of the waste avoidance hierarchy and many hard rubbish items can be reused. Consider donating items in good condition to a family member, friend or local charities so that they can be reused, before being recycled or sent to landfill as hard rubbish. Most Op shops and charities are not able to accept electrical items, so please call and check with them first.

There are also several websites you can use to donate or even sell unwanted items and keep them out of landfill.

What happens to hard waste after collection?

Smarter solution for hard waste disposal

Rather than going to landfill, unwanted household items are being used to produce alternative fuel thanks to an initiative of the City of Burnside and East Waste.

SUEZ-ResourceCo alternative fuels facility at Wingfield recycles or re-uses 95 per cent of all incoming materials. This compares with about 20-30 per cent if sent to landfill.

(Read more here)

In other council areas East Waste collects the hard rubbish and takes it to a waste recovery facility. Here recyclable material, like wood, plastic and metals, is extracted and recycled through specialised recycling facilities before the remainder of the material is sent to landfill .

Construction and demolition materials fact sheet:
Find out more about how construction and demolition materials are recycled

Zero Waste SA Construction and demolition materials fact sheet: http://www.zerowaste.sa.gov.au/upload/facts-sheets/construction_demolition_3.pdf

Reference: 1) Zero Waste SA: E-waste Recycling: Your Questions Answered

(Please note Zero Waste SA is now Green Industries SA. Contact details and other links on the factsheets may no longer be current)


Now available to residents from all member council areas.

Book Your Domestic 'AT CALL'
Hard waste Collection